Tuesday, September 23, 2014

The Power of Naming

Humans love to name things. I can't remember where I heard first, but some fantasy novel somewhere had a character in it who thought it was absurd that humans must name everything. In fact, it was one of those "humans suck because" moments. The ones where the fantasy or sic-fi creature is better than the humane race because they don't do something all humans do. I hate and love those moments, but this isn't about that.
I, for one, love to name things. I have a very bad memory and have had a hard time learning for as long as I can remember. So naming something is good for me. But there are more reasons to name written things specifically.

1. It helps you as a writer:

I am naming my points to help get my message across and hope that no other high and mighty writer sees them and says, "Oh, it's one of those silly list-things". I hope to have more words on here than those things.
Photo by Drew Coffman
When you are writing your novel or technical book or whatever lengthy literary project you have going on, it helps you to know where you are. I used to never use chapter titles because I though it was an amateurish or YA kind of thing to do. But I disagree now. When I started my first real sci-fi novel last year in November, I used numbers. I even went so far as to think I was really cool and used things like 1.3 to say this was part one chapter 3 (the chapters and parts were rather micro). I thought it was so clever and science-fiction-esque. Then I started to outline a sequel to my novelette. Then I tried to remember in which part of the first manuscript Arthur was born and when Ector took him to the moon. Perhaps some of you are better for this and can remember that sort of thing, but I'm not and not everyone else is either.
So when I read through my manuscript, I went back and named all my chapters. And took out the "parts" as well. As a writer, you name the chapter after the thing that happens. Whether that be a character, a kairotic moment, an object, a planet visited, or even a myth told, get a name on there. It's a place holder and it's nice to know where you're headed in that chapter.
Name the chapter first then write about it? Sure, if you have it all in your outline and know what's happening. Writer the chapter then name it? I tend to name the chapter, write it, then rename it. I do write outlines (sometimes) and so I know where I'm headed in that chapter and can name it first. Sometimes. Point being, naming the chapter tells you, the writer, where you are, what you're doing and what's important in that chapter. Name it so it doesn't get lost and you can call it home when you need to.

2. It helps the readers too:

The same thing applies to readers. Nothing is more annoying than when you're trying to find that one place in a novel that you love and you can't recall the darn number that goes with it. I've done that so many times. "I have no idea what chapter it was in, but..." And then I spend the whole class (say you're in literature class) trying to find that darned page.
Image by khrawling
As a reader, I remember very well the chapter name where Harry Potter sneaks into Hogsmeade and learns about Sirius Black. I know what happens in the chapter in Two Towers called "Flotsam and Jetsam". But what happens in "The Great Gatsby" in chapter twenty-two? I haven't the slightest clue.
The name is the thing. There is power in naming things. Plus, chapter names can turn into really cool catch phrases later. I know there aren't any on merchandise right now, but you say the chapter name in conversation with your fellow fanatics and they know it too and all the emotion and love that comes with that chapter name. It becomes a phrase (or word) of endearment. 

3. Use it in long academic work...please:

I have yet to edit my online academic essays, but those of you with the immediate option to fix it: put headers, dividers, part names--anything! to break up that 10,000 word essay on Poe (or in my case, Jonathan Swift). Nothing says "Ready to die?" like a long, jargon-filled, essay on any topic. My heart turns into a raisin a little every time I have to read an essay (I'm a grad student, it's all I do) that does not have bullet points. Or headers. Or something.
Those little map bullets will do wonders for a reader. It tells them what is coming up next. Yes, we know as a writer you are great at form, arrangement, and organization, but we can't see that when we're navel-deep in your words. Give us a floaty to hold on to. The same thing applies as in points one and two: it helps you as a writer and us as readers. It also tells us that you know where you are going and that those are your points from your intro and thesis. It reassures us as readers that you're not going on some rabbit trail and are in fact on target. Plus, it helps break it up for readers. I know, back in the day people read millions of words without such things. But this is now. No, it doesn't dumb it down for us, it helps us and keeps us focused on your work. 

4. It doesn't mean you're any less smart

I told you about how I used my clever sic-fi chapter system. Well, it wasn't that clever. It was just kind of dumb. Fun, but not really lending anything my piece and was just confusing for me. Naming your chapters, parts of an essay, or putting in bullet headers doesn't make you any less studious, reliable, or authorial. It shows how curious you are and that you cared enough to name that chapter. It was important to you. That's why humans name things. Because they are important. I name a plant my best friend's mom gave me. I called it Ceaser and I killed him. It was an accident, I swear!
But I named it because it was special to me. Did you know your writing should be special to you? It should. Donald Maass, a literary agent and editor, says that the best part of your writing is you. So don't think that just because you write sci-fi or non-fiction that you have to sound all cool and not name your chapters. There is room in all writing for creativity. 

5. Keep it short and sweet

Say what you mean, only use examples that matter, and always work in nice, symmetrical numbers or else your OCD will implode your head.
:) 

No comments:

Post a Comment